Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Saturday 10/29/11


This past Saturday I took an amazing class lead by David Liss over at Gemini Ink. There he handed us many tools on the best way to survive NaNoWriMo. Funny thing is, many of the things he told us, I was already doing the opposite.
---“Never do a Dream sequence. ”
The premise of my story.
---“Stay away from writing about yourself. It adds an extra layer of work.”
Apart from my senior thesis, I have never written a story so close to myself.
---“Writing takes work.”
Between dancing, juggling two jobs and searching for a third, it is going to a take lot of prioritizing and discipline to find the time to write the necessary amount.
Why do I always choose the hardest assignments? Just once, I want to choose an easy story about a frog.
So, the story I am planning on writing is about a preteen kid who never dreams. Then one night, his father tells him that the reason he never dreams is because he is scared to do so. But he should dream, because who knows what awesome things he is missing. Sure enough, that night William has the most epic dream of his life, he hunts down the demon from his past and just before he kisses a girl, he wakes up. According to Liss, the problem with the dream sequence is that there is nothing at stake. I am planning on placing the entire fate of the dream world in the hands of this one kid. The goal is to vamp up the craziness, and the awesomeness, like Kingdom of Hearts, The Matrix, or a Knights Tale. At the end of the novel, I want two reactions--Whoa and awesome.
Who believes I can successfully finish my draft?

3 comments:

  1. I do! Don't worry about other people's rules...learn from everyone but follow your own inner genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for believing in me. The power of belief is something I have thought about a lot and would like to address later. Following my own inner genius. That sounds so epic. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish the links were working. The Frog link linked to a website so you could play Frogger.

    ReplyDelete